So the plan was all set, save Php50,000 (a.k.a. Dave Ramsey’s Baby Step No. 1) while paying off my credit card and personal loans. After that, increase mortgage payments and keep adding to my emergency funds. It was a fool-proof plan until life happened.

The thing with getting a cardiac angiogram is that you also have to be ready for an angioplasty, in case a blockage is found so that it can be remedied ASAP. An angiogram only costs between Php40,000.00 to Php50,000.00, but you have to have about Php500,000.00 on hand in the event that an angioplasty is needed.

Needless to say, I was stunned with this newest health problem. Not only had my husband been diagnosed with heart issues, but those issues would also cost us big time.

The good news is that my aunt generously offered to shoulder part of the costs, hence, with my savings and a salary loan, we would have no trouble reaching Php500,000.00.

The best news though is that my husband’s sister offered to pay for the entire procedure, so instead of taking out a loan and cashing out some of my savings and investments, we’ll just be paying her instead. We haven’t talked about the repayment details yet, but knowing her, it’s probably between no-repayment necessary and pay when able with no interest.

I’m always humbled over how blessed I am. Just when the load seems too much to bear, someone reaches out even if I don’t ask for help.

I am the luckiest person alive.

13 Comments on Hello Monkey, Meet Wrench!

February 12, 2018 at 11:25 pm (3 months ago)

Thanks so much George! I hope you and your hubby are doing well 🙂

1. R
    February 4, 2018 at 12:59 pm (4 months ago)

Such generous family ❤️ I wish for a successful operation for your husband!

We seem to experience the same financial setbacks at the same time. We needed to raise 1M for my father-in-law’s aneurysm. Back to baby step 1. We didn’t need to take out a loan for this, fortunately, because husband has several siblings to split the cost with.

February 12, 2018 at 11:26 pm (3 months ago)

Thanks Rae!

Family really is such a blessing. How’s your father-in-law doing?

February 5, 2018 at 7:22 am (4 months ago)

Hope your husband won’t need an angioplasty. Prayers for the family!

February 12, 2018 at 11:27 pm (3 months ago)

Thanks Edel! Sending out good vibes to your family too.

3. jun
    February 6, 2018 at 8:54 pm (3 months ago)

Ha! Jill, my 2018 started off with a couple of monkey wrenches too (wrote about it here http://thesimplelivingpinoy.weebly.com/ ). My brother opted out of the angiogram as there’s a better than 20% chance it’ll damage his already weak kidneys. I pray your spouse wont need the angioplasty though! Family really is the best as everyone just rallies around when someone needs help. Hope the rest of the year is healthier for our families!

February 12, 2018 at 11:27 pm (3 months ago)

Thanks Jun!

I took a quick look at your blog just now and was amazed at how much your net worth has grown! I’ll definitely be backreading it during the long break for tips and inspiration. Lodi!

4. BRENDA
    February 9, 2018 at 5:37 am (3 months ago)

I hope sir Gary is feeling better now. :0

February 12, 2018 at 11:30 pm (3 months ago)

Hi Brenda,

He’s actually feeling much better now and the chest pains or tightness have disappeared. We’re crossing our fingers that the angiogram results will show no blockage.

5. Sera
    February 12, 2018 at 3:47 pm (3 months ago)

Here’s hoping the angiogram reveals no blockages. But if it does go to needing an angioplasty, I hope it all goes well. Having family to lean on is a godsend. Sending prayers your way.

February 12, 2018 at 11:30 pm (3 months ago)

Thank you Sera!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Hello Monkey, Meet Wrench!