(clickable image)

“Bakit Hindi Nag-i-invest ang mga Pilipino” is a very insightful piece from Richard Macalintal that pretty much sums up why a huge majority of Filipinos fail to invest year in and year out.

It’s actually a funny piece, but as Macalintal warns in the end, such financial recklessness is sheer idiocy and will result in tragedy sooner than you think. And I quote:
“Sa tingin nyo pag ganito ng ganito taon taon ang takbo ng buhay nyo, anong bukas ang naghihintay sa inyo at sa pamilya mo?

Pano kung wala ng magpautang sayo? Pano kung magsawa ng kabibigay sina mommy at daddy, sina kuya at ate?

Ayusin maige ang kaperahan Bago pa mahuli ang lahat…”
I really do hope people wake up and be brave enough to go against the flow. So what if people think you’re poor or stingy because you didn’t spend your entire Christmas bonus on gifts? So what if you don’t go all out with your handaan once fiesta rolls in? So what if your car is 10 years old?
Step away from the pack, and be secure in the knowledge that for every peso you save and invest, you’re building a better future for yourself and your family.
It's only fair to share...Share on Facebook964Share on Google+2.2kTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn0

13 Comments on A Year’s Worth of Excuses

1. PINASforGOOD
    August 11, 2014 at 12:21 am (3 years ago)

Like my cousin who wanted to borrow money from me coz pang fiesta daw. What the heck?

August 11, 2014 at 12:23 am (3 years ago)

I hope you said NO!

3. Didi
    August 12, 2014 at 12:22 am (3 years ago)

Iniisip ko ang version na pang OFW. Padala sa pamilya ng sang damakmak na gadgets, designer bags. Pautang sa mga kababayan. Swipe, swipe ng credit card at kuha ng personal loan. Invest sa business na walang back up savings. Hay.

Ang theme song ay hindi na natuto. Kind of frustrating. But I do hope a lot of people wake up.

4. Anonymous
    August 12, 2014 at 12:22 am (3 years ago)

…and some people I know who had to get a loan just so they could throw a lavish party for their one year old. I have nothing against people who could afford to spend hundreds of thousands for a party. But to actually go into debt just so you could throw one?!

5. Janice
    August 12, 2014 at 12:22 am (3 years ago)

It's so true. I'm sure madami ang mkakarelate dito..:)

Can I share the image sa FB page ko? natuwa lng ako.. hehe

August 12, 2014 at 1:40 am (3 years ago)

Go right ahead, the author is properly cited in the image naman 🙂

7. Janice
    August 12, 2014 at 11:04 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks! 😉

August 27, 2014 at 11:19 pm (3 years ago)

Very true! Hay, we need more Pinoys to learn how to be financially literate. 🙂

9. invest-friends
    September 7, 2014 at 11:20 pm (3 years ago)

I read this too somewhere. It's never too late to take action.

10. Anonymous
    October 7, 2014 at 10:54 pm (3 years ago)

I understand this and I can relate din. Reason is. . . hindi masyado na-eeducate ang pinoy about investing lalo na sa stocks na yan. Mindset ng mga pinoy, mag-aral at magtrabaho hanggang dun lang which is mali.

11. littleeverydaystuff
    January 6, 2015 at 11:05 pm (3 years ago)

After seeing this, naisip ko, kung yung passion sana sa pag-share ng financial literacy maging kapantay man lang "passion" nung mga recruiter/ distributors ng MLM companies, mas madami nang mayamang Pinoy ngayon.

January 6, 2015 at 11:31 pm (3 years ago)

Unless you earn from giving lectures or selling books on financial literacy, I don't think you'll be as bibo as MLM recruiters in pushing financial literacy.

And what is it about the Pinoy culture that doesn't put a premium on savings no? Are we too Americanized that we even took on their hyper consumeristic ways as well? Does that even need an answer?:p

13. littleeverydaystuff
    January 7, 2015 at 3:11 am (3 years ago)

Haha, I'm super not the best person to ask. My spendy habit in the past years came from the belief that "I will die soon, anyway." Last year lang ako sobrang naging seryoso sa pera. Helped a lot with my beauty product addiction.